Where our community gathers, connects, grows, and discovers.
The Demarest Free Public Library is a welcoming community partner offering programs and services that encourage lifelong learning, foster creativity and exploration, and inspire connections.
As a member of the Bergen County Cooperative Library System (BCCLS), the library adheres to the directives of that group’s mission statement:
BCCLS empowers our member libraries by providing a collaborative framework made stronger by the uniqueness of its members. We demonstrate our commitment to collaboration through cost-effective resource sharing, shared professional development, and the fostering of initiatives to facilitate a forward-thinking public library system.BCCLS Mission Statement
Optimize available space in the community to meet evolving needs.
Increase public awareness and use of the library’s services and programs.
Build a foundation to strengthen the library’s role within the community.
- Optimize available space in the community to meet evolving needs.
- We have worked to update our adult collections in weak areas, particularly parenting and large print.
- We added a new VOX book collection in the Children’s Room to help new readers.
- We have increased our purchasing of eBooks and digital audiobooks on Libby to meet demand.
- We purchased new, updated computers for the Children’s and Teen Rooms.
- Increase public awareness and use of the library’s services and programs.
- We worked with the newly-established Teen Advisory Board to create new programs.
- We hosted several popular teen movie nights.
- Our Teen Advisory Board organized many well-attended storytimes, parties, and other programs.
- We established a regular Korean- and Hebrew-language storytime.
- Build a foundation to strengthen the library’s role within the community.
- We have worked towards establishing a Friends of the Library group.
- We participated in the Summer Concert Series, Demarest Day, and the borough’s Halloween Parade.
- We worked with community members to offer programs in the Demarest Community Spotlight series, including Yoga with Anat Lavie, a concert from Rhoda Tillack and her daughter, and a local history lecture from Mary Anne Clarke, Borough Historian.