The Strategic Planning Committee has identified ten strategic focal areas.
Goal I—COLLECTIONS AND PROGRAMMING.
- The Library will encourage life-long learning and the pursuit of knowledge. We will use best practices for maintaining and expanding our collections.
- We will partner with schools to ensure the library is meeting the curriculum needs of Demarest students.
- The Library will expand its programming for adults and children by offering tech classes for adults and book club for middle schoolers.
- The Library will hire appropriate staff to expand hours to seven days a week, adding Wednesday evening and Saturday morning hours.
Goal II—COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT, PARTNERSHIPS, AND COLLABORATIONS.
- The Library will collaborate with librarians from Closter and Haworth to present an assembly in September at the high school level introducing students to the offerings at the Library.
- We will collaborate with school media specialists to ensure our collections meet the needs of the Demarest students.
- We will partner with the Historical Society to display area artifacts and photographs showing the rich history of the Demarest area.
- We will support and enhance artistic and cultural activities which benefit the local community. We will use the library as a display for school art projects.
- We will continue to reach out to groups for ideas and feedback.
- We will create a “Friends of the Library” group.
Goal III: COMMUNICATING THE VALUE OF THE LIBRARY.
- The Library will issue a staff-generated newsletter quarterly. This will be sent via USPS to all residents and will also be available electronically on the library website.
- The Library will use a listserv of library patrons to send out announcements and important information.
- The Library will continue its use of social media: Facebook, Instgram.
- The library will add a “Library Resources Information Packet” to the Welcome Wagon to inform new residents of Library hours and offerings.
- There will be a “Library Corner” feature in the weekly PTO newsletter.
- The Library will continue to use the town information board to announce hours, programs, and monthly board of trustee meetings.
Goal IV: LIBRARY AS AN ANCHOR IN THE COMMUNITY.
- The Library wants to create a safe, welcoming place for the community to gather in an emergency. We will install a generator as emergency backup for all systems and make sure the community is aware of it.
- Feature our meeting room to different groups as a potential meeting place.
- Provide English as a Second Language training (ESL) through both classroom instruction and conversation groups. Continue to identify the diversity in Demarest and offer appropriate materials.
- The Library should be a place where people can go to find out about government services like health care, taxes, etc.
Goal V: TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION.
- The Library will continue to offer the latest in technology.
- Our website and Facebook page will continue to be updated with fresh posts and relevant information. We will expand into Instagram to attract high schoolers to follow us.
- Our Technical Services Librarian will offer technology training to any patron in need. We will offer “Tech Classes” for adults and “Tech Hints” in our newsletter and on our website.
Goal VI: FACILITY AND CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS.
- The Library has made many upgrades to the building with the completion of construction of the addition in 2012.
- The Library will continue to provide a safe environment for patrons and staff.
- The Library will install a generator as emergency backup for all systems.
- Addressing the lack of parking will be a long term goal.
Goal VII: CUSTOMER SERVICE.
- Hire and maintain a motivated staff.
- In response to patron request, we will expand hours to include Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. This will allow us to be open seven days per week.
- Our staff will continue to relate to our customers in a friendly, professional way.
- We will provide excellent customer service by empowering the library staff through training, workshops, and regular staff meetings.
- We will provide clear guidelines for uniform staff behavior by the ongoing review of library policies adopted by the Library Board and through staff meetings.
Goal VIII: FUNDING.
- The Library Board of Trustees will continue its prudent stewardship of Municipal funds.
- The Library will continue to pursue grant opportunities to fund major initiatives.
Goal IX: MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP.
- The Library will maintain a highly motivated and professional staff.
- The Library Board of Trustees will create, review and amend Library policies and procedures on an ongoing basis.
- The Library Board will seek out motivated library supporters and make recommendations to the mayor when a vacancy on the Board of Trustees becomes available.
Goal X: EVALUATION.
The overall intent of this strategic plan is to increase our presence in the community. Our mission states that we are a community destination. For this plan to be truly successful we need to assess and evaluate the plan and make adjustments along the way to better serve the community. The Board of Trustees will review this plan at the end of year two in 2016 and year four in 2018 to ensure our actions reflect the goals and objectives set forth in this plan.