You can get your library card for free, but it’s valuable! It grants you access to all the services the Demarest Free Public Library and Bergen County Cooperative Library System (BCCLS – or “buckles” – for short) have to offer.
How to Sign UpTo sign up for a library card, we need to know:
- Your name
- Your address
- Your phone number
- We’ll also ask for an email address so we can let you know when you have items to pick up and remind you when your items are due, but this is optional.
Signing up is free!You can start the registration process online by clicking here and filling out the form, or you can do the entire process in the library. Whether you pre-register online or not, you’ll need to come to the library in person with two things to get your library card:
- Photo ID
- Proof of your Demarest address
You must get your library card from the town you live in, but after that you can use it at any library in BCCLS. If you already have a card in another BCCLS town, come by the library with proof of your new Demarest address and we’ll switch your account over and give you a Demarest card.
Signing up the whole family? Kids can get cards too, as long as a parent or guardian is present to provide proof of address and agrees to be responsible for items the child checks out. Children’s cards can be used just like adults’, except for checking out museum passes (you must be eighteen or older to do that).
If you work, own property, or go to school in Demarest but live in a town without a BCCLS library, you’re entitled to a free courtesy card which grants you access to our collection. Temporary residents such as au pairs may also be entitled to courtesy cards. A member of the hosting family must be present to sign up the au pair and must provide a letter taking responsibility for the au pair’s card. Call or stop by the library for more details.
Once you have your library card, you can…
- Borrow! Here at the Demarest Library we have:
- Audiobooks on CD and playaway
- Music CDs
- Movies and TV series on DVD & Blu-Ray
- Video games for Nintendo DS, XBOX, and Nintendo Wii
- A Korean-language collection of fiction and non-fiction books, movies, dramas, music, and magazines.
- Borrow from other libraries! There are seventy-seven libraries in BCCLS with more than 5,800,000 items – with a library card, you can borrow from any of them! Demarest Library only has books and magazines in English and Korean, but you can visit other libraries to borrow books in Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Polish, and more. Don’t want to make the trip? You can request items be sent to the library of your choice for you to pick up. Call or visit us to make a request, or use the online catalog – here’s how.
- Borrow digital items! eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines, music, movies, TV shows – borrow them all from the library any place, any time.
- Borrow museum passes! Demarest residents aged eighteen and older can borrow a pass to the MoMA, Guggenheim, or Intrepid Air & Space Museum. Passes admit four to six people. Click here to learn more!
- Learn a language! In addition to the print, audiobook, and video language-learning materials you can borrow, you have access to Rosetta Stone, offering beginner’s lessons in thirty languages.
- Get homework help! Demarest Library cardholders have access to World Book Online, the popular encyclopedia, which includes research tools, games, science project ideas, a citation builder, and more! For elementary school kids there’s World Book Kids; for DMS students, there’s World Book Student; and for high schoolers, there’s World Book Advanced.
- Get information you can’t find anywhere else! Whether you’re writing your first book report or starting a new business, we’ve got the right sites for you. Check out Homework Help for Kids, Research Resources for Teens, and Reference & Learning Resources for adults. You’ll find the best sites on the open web, plus the top-quality databases with information you can’t find on google. Still not enough? Take a look through BCCLS’s Web Subject Guides.
- Find your next favorite book! You can use NoveList to find detailed summaries and reviews plus tools for finding read-alikes based on your tastes and interest. You can also check out discover.bccls.org to find a growing collection of book reviews, book club guides, author interviews, and more!
- Manage your account online! You can manage your library card online – change your notification preferences, update your account information, see what items you have checked out, place requests, and renew items. You can also keep track of items you want to borrow and turn on your reading history. Log in to your account at bccls.org.
- Forgot your password? You set it up when you got your library card. Click here to have it emailed to the email address on file. You can also call or visit us during library hours and we’ll reset your password for you.