ESL Conversation Group
The Demarest Library offers conversation groups for English language learners. Meetings are:
- Tuesdays from 10:30am to 12:00pm and
- Wednesdays from 1:00pm to 2:30pm
The same readings are done at each meeting, but you are welcome to come to both. Registration is not required. These groups are relaxed, conversation-focused, and full of friendly students. For more information, contact Orla at 201-768-8714 or email@example.com, or stop by the upstairs desk.
Anyone with a New Jersey library card can now access Rosetta Stone, an online language learning system. You need your library card number to create an account.
Building a Strong Vocabulary is a free app that strengthens your vocabulary by matching words with their definitions.
For intensive English classes, consider the following free resources:
- Project Literacy offers free one-on-one tutoring services.
- Greater Bergen Community Action offers free ESL and New Americans classes. Classes are held in Palisades Park, Cliffside Park, and Garfield and run for 10 week sessions, four times a year. Registration takes place two months before each session on Fridays at 10 am. Students must bring ID, proof of address, and a social security card if they have one. Students take a placement test to determine which level class they will enter. Call the Garfield office to register to take the test at 973-685-0005, extension 7150. The address for the Garfield office is:
541 Midland Avenue
Garfield, NJ 07026
The office is at the back of the building.
- Bergen County Technical Schools offer free English Literacy & Civics and free ESL classes. For more information, call Silvia at 201-343-6000, extension 4639 between 8am and 4pm or visit the ESL/GED office:
Adult Education Building
190 Hackensack Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601