Dear parents and caregivers,
On behalf of the BCCLS community, we invite you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she begins kindergarten. The concept is simple, but the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, toddler, and/or preschooler. The goal is to read 1,000 books before your child starts kindergarten (yes, you can repeat books!). Does it sound hard? If you read just one book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year; that is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in just three years!
Q: Who can participate in this program?
A: Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate.
Q: How long will the program take?
A: The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
Q: How many of my children can participate?
A: All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
Q: Do we have to read books from the library?
A: No, you can read books from anywhere. Just remember to log them!
Q: Can I count a book more than once?
A: You can! Record the book as many times as you read it!
How to Get Started
- Register your reader with Miss Kate at the children’s desk. Pick up your log and recommended reading lists.
- Start logging your books either on the paper log or on the app
- Bring your log to the library at each milestone (50 books, 100 books, 200 books, 300 books, 400 books, 500 books, 600 books, 700 books, 800 books, 900 books, and 1,000 books) to receive a small reward.
- Any child who reaches 1,000 books will have his or her picture taken and posted on the BCCLS website (with your permission) and invited to a BCCLS-wide party in their honor.
- Remember: There is no begin or end date for this program. Just read with your child and ENJOY!