Full-Time Youth Services Librarian
Do you love working with children? The Demarest Public library is looking for a creative librarian who is forward thinking, innovative, community focused, dynamic, fun and tech savvy to be our next full time Children/Youth Services Librarian! The ideal candidate should be comfortable working with patrons of all ages.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program
- Eligibility for professional certification in accordance with the NJ Department of Education
- One to three years of satisfactory professional library experience
- Must be comfortable working with children from birth through age 17. An existing knowledge of trends in children’s and teen literature is desirable.
- Knowledge of computers and technology trends
- Strong programming skills required, including the ability to identify and plan craft and technology activities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide reference service and readers advisory in the Youth Services Department
- Lead collection development and maintenance for Youth Services Department
- Promote the library’s collection and resources to children, parents and caregivers
- Create engaging in-person and remote programs for children of all ages, including story times for young children, crafts, and science and technology based programs for young adults
- Assist patrons with using library equipment
- Compile statistical data and periodically composes narrative reports showing plans, programs, problems, and/or the accomplishment of the work assigned
- In conjunction with the Library Director, provide outreach to inform and train the community and various community organizations on available library services
- Attend seminars/meetings of professional library groups/organizations to keep current with scientific and technical developments and participate in professional associations concerned with improving methods/techniques of library services
- Maintain children’s department’s social media accounts
- Composes publicity releases or program announcements for media, library newsletters and website. Stays knowledgeable with current events, local and popular culture, as well as, current library trends and innovations fields and patron inquiries in a professional and courteous manner
- Catalogues children’s books and media
- Serves as a liaison to local community agencies serving children
- Working closely with the Demarest library Teen Advisory board
This job requires occasional lifting of items weighing up to 20 pounds, pushing heavy book carts, bending to floor, reaching above head, standing for long periods of time and minor maintenance of library facilities.
This is a full-time position, requiring daytime, evening, and some weekend hours.
The Demarest Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. The position offers health coverage, pension, holidays, vacation, personal days, and sick time. Salary is commensurate with experience and NJLA minimum.
Email your cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Library Director Parinda at email@example.com and include Children/Youth Services Librarian in the subject line
Part-Time Programming & Outreach Library Assistant
Supervision Information Services Librarian
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years’ experience with event planning/outreach; library experience strongly preferred
- Knowledge of BCCLS consortium and policies preferred
- Knowledge of LEAP strongly preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, promote, and execute information and recreational programs for adults and children; adult programming is primary focus
- Lead quarterly book discussion group
- Introduce community/family focused program
- Develop strong partnerships with community organizations
- Represent Library at community events
- Create marketing materials to promote library services and events
- Work with the Supervising Librarian on digital newsletter, event calendar, social media posts, and press releases
- Collaborate with the Supervising Librarian to maintain the library website
- Contribute programming report to annual library newsletter; assist with copy-editing, layout, etc.
- Provide statistics on program attendance
- Cover the circulation desk as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Library Director
Additional Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of computers, mobile devices, social media platforms, and other library equipment and technology.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and to maintain effective working relationships with other library staff.
- Strong written, verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to complete tasks either independently or collaboratively and within a specified time frame.
- Ability to promote literacy and provide basic reader’s advisory services, especially for adult patrons.
This job requires occasional lifting of items weighing up to 20 pounds, pushing heavy book carts, bending to floor, reaching above head, and standing for long periods of time.
- 20 hours per week
- 1 Saturday per month required; willingness to work two Saturdays a month strongly preferred
- Some evenings as needed based on the programming schedule
- Schedule flexibility strongly preferred
Salary & Benefits:
This position offers 1 week of paid vacation time as well as paid sick time in accordance with New Jersey’s paid sick leave law.
Email your cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Library Director Parinda at firstname.lastname@example.org and include Programming & Outreach Library Assistant in the subject line.
We strongly encourage MLIS students and/or those considering a career in libraries to apply.